Northfield Avenue, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire CB4 2HU
Ready for School
How to help before your child starts school:
- Talk to your child about school life.
- Share books together.
- Play ‘schools’ at home.
- Dress and undress themselves. This includes coats and shoes. Velcro fastenings make this task easier. Please try to avoid buttons.
- Write their name. Teach your child to start their name with a capital letter at the beginning and then lower case for the rest of the letters. If they are not yet at this stage help them to recognise their name
- Count to 10. Starting from 0 (zero).
- Carry their own book bag and school things.
- Use a pair of scissors safely. Show them how to carry them carefully by holding the closed sharp end.
- Use the toilet independently. This includes wiping themselves, flushing the toilet and washing their hands.
- Be happy being left with others. By giving them experiences of being left with others it will build confidence and independence. If this is an issue trial it for short sessions first and build up to more time. Reassure your child that you will be back at a given time. If you are worried talk to the class teacher about ways to help them settle, this may involve leaving the child and then calling us later to make sure they are OK! Most children recover quickly and settle in to the routine well, even if they have been upset at the start of the day, leaving you worried for the whole time.
- Be prepared for eating a school lunch. Teach your child to hold and use a knife and fork effectively to encourage independence.
- Say their first and last name.
- Communicate their needs. Your child needs to be able to tell us they need the toilet, or are hungry or thirsty.
- Play with other children and share. This can be helped by inviting friends over to play and encouraging them to share toys and games. It also helps if your child is used to tidying up after him/herself when they play, as they will be expected to do this at school.
- Respond to simple instructions. Play games at home like ‘Simple Simon’ to get them used to listening and responding.
Things your child will need for school:
- School uniform, this can be brought from the school office click here for more information
- Plimsolls, these are cheap from local supermarkets.
- PE kit, including shorts and a t-shirt.
- Book bag, bought from the school office, £3 each
- Lunch box if they are having a packed lunch.
- Waterproof coat, the children will be going outside in all weathers.
- Please name all your children’s possessions.