Online Safety Information
Staying Safe Online at King's Hedges Educational Federation
Below is a list of recommended search engines. At King's Hedges, we encourage pupils to use 'safe search' engines both inside and outside school. No search engine is ever 100% safe but 'safe' search engines can provide a way to reduce the risk for children when searching for information, images and other media.
- Safe Search Kids - Google sponsored safe searching, including links and tips for online safety.
- Wiki for Kids - "A filtered Wikipedia resource that provides articles in Simple English. It is like Wikipedia's Simple Edition with the added benefit that the site filters out content that is not appropriate for children." Also includes useful Online Research Tips for Kids.
- KidRex - A safe search engine powered by Google Custom Search and using Google SafeSearch technology.
- Pics4Learning - Pics4Learning is a safe, free image library for education with copyright-friendly images for classrooms, multimedia projects, websites, videos, portfolios or educational projects.
- DKfindout! - allows younger children to search, learn and explore information on a safe and secure site with DK's clear, reliable and highly visual content.
- Kiddle - Kiddle is another safe search engine created by Google - highly visual to make it easier for young children to navigate the search results. Includes images and video search.
At King's Hedges we strive to teach children how to confidently use the internet in a safe way. At times teachers will ask children to use certain websites for homework or to complete extra tasks to extend their learning in class. These include the following:
- https://play.ttrockstars.com/auth/school/student Your child will have an individual student login to access their account.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/primary Always select your child year group to access appropriate activities
- https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/3-5-years/counting) All the websites are safe and approved by the school for you and your child to use safely.
Learn more about Online Safety as a Family
If you would like to learn more about online safety with your child please use any of the approved websites below: ·
Childnet International Primary Site - the home of the SMART internet rules. ·
ThinkUKnow 11-13. CEOP's site for 11-13 year olds
Band Runner. CEOP's site for 8-10 year olds
Interland. Created by Google, this interactive site aims to teach KS2 children about many facets of online safety. Children learn through entertaining, quiz-style games spanning across four different 'Internet Awesome' kingdoms! · Cyber Sprinters. An exciting, interactive online security game for 7-11 year olds
How to Secure Online Accounts