Year 2 have been taught music by Mrs Addison this year and we’ve started to learn how to play the Boomwhackers as a group. We have used them to help us compose and now we have used them to play Christmas songs. Here is Dolphins class playing ‘Let it Snow’ in the Christmas assembly:
In Year 2, we have been playing boomwhackers as a class. This builds on what was learnt whilst playing the claves in Year 1, with the additional challenge of being a pitched percussion instrument.
Laying the foundations for performance:
- We have been developing our self-control by thinking about how to hold the instrument and to know when to play and when to stop.
- We have been learning about the different pitches and have composed music using high and low notes.
- We have then played these simple pieces in pairs and evaluated them. This will help us when we come to play our own more complicated compositions in our final performance.
- Following on from this we composed some more challenging pieces using four pitches and tested these out in groups. This will help us gain confidence in performing as part of an ensemble.
- Finally, we have started to prepare for our Christmas performance to family and friends by learning some Christmas songs as a large boomwhacker orchestra.